View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:06 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Problem importing dxf files with editable poly objects 
user

License: Media
Videocard: GeForce GTX1080Ti
Hi Everyone,

I am running to some issues when importing dxf files created in 3DS max to LC. I would like some help on them as I managed to find a word around for some files but don t quite understand why these problems are happening. I have to say that "problematic" dxf files are opened correctly in other dxf viewers.

Usually I pre model in Autocad in 2D as I am more confident and fast with it and then finnish the modeling in 3DS max which I then use to export the venues to LC.

This is what I found after a lot of trial and error:

- If I create the models from extruded polylines and the apply individual modifiers (even edit poly) to these objects without converting them to editable polys the objects are then correctly imported to LC.

- However, If I apply some modifiers and then convert to editable poly or convert the object to editable poly (many times needed) the object will not show in LC. This happens with slightly complex objects but also (and more surprisingly..) with standard primitives like planes and cubes. So, in both cases some parts of the venue are just not imported to LC..

- Another problem with this converted to edit poly objects or with venue models including those converted objects on it is that all the vertexes show up but connected in a wrong way giving weird and completely deformed objects and venues.

So, what is the problem? why I can apply a edit poly modifier and be OK while if I convert object to edit poly the objects are not displaying correctly or simply not appearing in LC?

Do I have to do something before exporting from 3DS? why LC does not like edit poly objects?

This would be very helpful for me because I have already 3D models of the many different spaces in our venues but I have to redraw them completely (and with some missing objects) in order to use them in LC. Which is after all the main purpose of this modeling for our company. As a personal user I use a design license at home but company owns an unlimited license for LC.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:03 pm
architector

License: Unlimited
Videocard: TitanX
Hi, juanpizgz.
Did you see the topmost thread Info!!! in this forum?
We use plugin for 3DMax to save directly.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:21 am
Profile WWW
user

Hi,

I actually tried with the plugin a couple of months ago but I remember some problems (I don t remember exactly but I was using 2015 and 2016 versions of 3DS, maybe files too big). Anyway I can give it another try and tell you results..

Anyway, I was asking because I am interested in what could be the reasons that made similar objects appear or not appear in LC (derails in first post).

Thanks anyway

Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:47 pm
architector

License: Unlimited
Videocard: TitanX
DXF is a simple basic format for small geometry objects without any effects/modificators.

It is obsolete rudiment, you must use our export plugin instead.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
user

OK, I will try it again. Thank you!

Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:52 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]